What’s this? Is Askutron in 2D now? Not quite. It’s still a 3D game.
It does have a text client now, though. Let me tell you why.
About one and a half years ago we started working on Askutron.
Back then both of us didn’t really know what were are doing.
We were still learning Unity and at the same time just tried to get the
game implemented as quickly as possible.
Unsurprisingly the resulting code and Unity project hasn’t turned out
particularly elegant, well organized, or even well optimized.
When we decided to build Askutron: The Quiz Show Game we had to
decide how we would get the voice over for all our questions and answers which
are read out aloud by the host. We were planning to have a lot of questions.
In fact at this point we have more than 10.000 of them.
Being a tiny studio we don’t have a lot of money at our disposal.
So we were looking for alternatives to traditional voice over work.
Speech synthesis has improved by a lot in the past decade.
These days Siri, Google Assistant and Amazon’s own Echo are used by many people
and are speaking quite naturally. So perhaps we can reduce costs by
using speech synthesis?
Besides the lower cost this would bring another big advantage in that it
enables us to have voice overs even for player-generated content in our quiz.
Moreover this way our game’s host is able to say arbitrary player names.
Sounds good! So how do we do this?
Integrating Mobile Phones as Controllers Into Our Quiz Game
by Mathias Kahl
All Connections Lead to Askutron
Askutron is a “Quiz Show” PC game we are building as a classic local multiplayer game to be played with your friends in front of a big screen. As such it supports up to 8 players. 8 players who have to somehow be able to “buzz” in their answers. Our first prototype only supported keyboard and game pads, but who just happens to have 8 controllers lying around? Naturally, adding support for phones and tablets was one of the first things we started working on once the basic gameplay was working. But the development process was not as straightforward as you might expect.
Recently I had to setup an RSS aggregator for automatically importing posts from an RSS feed
into a WordPress blog as a custom post type. The best free option for this seems to be
Unfortunately the plugin erroneously duplicated posts in my case for an unknown reason.
Even though the same syndicated post with the same GUID / URL already existed in the
database, it was re-imported on every feed update, thus leading to dozens of duplicate posts.
To fix the issue I made use of the “syndicated_item” filter hook that is provided by the plugin.